YOU ARE HERE » Message Boards » Avatar - Fan Fiction » View Thread
..::|The Chessboard Battlefield|By The Way & KawaiiGrrl|::..

Date: 05/21/13 5:40 PM

|Book I: The Pawns|
|..:|Prologue|:..|

The Avatar is Gone- Forever?
read the headlines one hundred years ago, after the passing of Avatar Kady. Republic City claimed to have seen her in the Avatar state when she passed on, and thus, the Avatar cycle came to a halt, they said... Now it has been two thousand years since Avatar Korra, a famous and much loved Avatar, had passed on. Modern day Republic City believes she would be amazed and then disgusted if she were here now. Amazed at the sleek, Hovermobiles levitating an entire foot off the ground; amazed at the tall steel buildings whose sides project commercials from flashing HD color television screens; amazed at the garments people are wearing, glitzy and glamorous with high tech features, like cellular phones implanted in thin, fashionable gloves.
Disgusted at the way poor people are made into slaves if four years old or older; disgusted at how the Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Water Tribes are dominated by a single power when they are supposed to be separate; disgusted at how the leader of this dominating power, Valor Li-Nova, has been crowned 'Honorary Avatar', because people have lost hope in the real and apparently nonexistent Avatar; disgusted that all she did to stop the Equalists went somewhat in vain, for now, all airbenders are extinct. An entire race gone, along with her friends Tenzin and his children.
Li-Nova's regime is in full control of the other nations. Laws are in effect that remove people from their homes if it is convenient to place a shopping center or corporate building. Corporations dominate small, family owned businesses. People are losing their jobs everyday, and becoming slaves.
And no one except the Avatar can stop it.
But the Avatar is dead.
---

Welcome to The Chessboard Battlefield Trilogy, a double between the ever so incredible KawaiiGrrl and myself. This story takes place in the cyberpunk evolution of the LOK world we know and love, two thousand years after Korra passed away.
I hope you enjoy this legendary trilogy, and as I say because I'm The Way,

Keepon Writing!

||-tHe wAy-||

521 Messages Sort By
Show Topics
Date: 04/08/14 7:27 AM

Kawaii,

Yay~ welcome back, le Kawaii! And thank you for these strawberries... As you can see, you only have two makeup chapters but they both ended in cliffhangers. XD So I'll be on standby if you need any help.

Madtay,

Thank you! As always, it's very happy to know that a writer like yourself is reading!

-By The Way

People gather to TOKYO from here and there with memories of their home. And then, TOKYO gets everyone's home town. -The "Engrish" on this Tokyo Banana package...

Date: 04/08/14 1:35 AM

Whoa... intense! You guys are writing very good chapters!

LD

Date: 04/07/14 12:15 AM

YOYOYOYO~ What up, guise? :D I'm back. And better than ever. *throws strawberries in the air*

*ahem* Nice suspenseful chapters, Way! I'll get to writing ASAP. ^^

Omg, underlines, I've ignored them since forever. o_o;; *nervous laughter in the distance*

~ 100% Kawaii
*pats Urushi's head* Who's the cutest widdle seventh grader? You are~ You are~

Date: 04/06/14 10:05 PM

Great job, Way! I'm very excited to see what you and Kawaii come up with next. : )

-MadTay

Date: 04/06/14 11:09 AM

[A/N: I think I'll leave KawaiiGrrl to write what happens after Cleon uses his firebending to try and control the fire destroying the temple. -evil grin-]

|Book II: The Bishops|
|..:|Chapter XLVIII: Power and Luxury|:..|

Only Harmonie's foot stuck out of the thick, cozy blankets as she dozed happily. Yesterday she had spent all her time enjoying the mansion's vast array of different things to entertain herself with. Never had she had this much fun. Back in the village of Haleigh, it had been tedious and exhausting work and then nothing to do at all. After joining F.A.L.S.E, Harmonie had constantly been doing things that were exciting, but also stressful and life-threatening.
This lifestyle was perfect.
"Ms. Harmonie?" called Hao as he entered Harmonie's room. "It's well past your usual rising hour. You must be hungry by now!"
Harmonie opened her bright green eyes slowly. Had anyone been there, they would have noticed that a certain sort of light had gone out of those eyes. Not as though she was sad; she was extremely happy! It was something else altogether that had left the Avatar. "Yeah, I'm pretty hungry," she replied cheerfully. She stretched, extending her arms all the way out.
"Shall I fetch you some newly sewed clothes?" Hao inquired. "You've already worn all the other outfits at least once now," he added as explanation.
"Of course! That sounds great."
Harmonie changed into her new, lovely clothes. They were flowing and romantic, not tight and functional like those she had had to wear when she was fighting and running around all the time with F.A.L.S.E. A female servant named An came in to do Harmonie's hair in an elaborate braid. "We do need a special hairstyle for today. Our leader would like to meet with you after breakfast, your holiness."
"Meet with me?" Harmonie asked with a raised eyebrow. She was still slightly suspicious of Zirrus Chu, the leader of the Order of the Zephyr. "Why does he to do that?"
"I don't know. Orders from the highest are never explained to servants."
"Well, not the highest-highest," Harmonie laughed.
An smiled somewhat uneasily. "Of course not. Your rank far surpasses Mr. Chu's."
A strange warm sensation passed through Harmonie. Those words from An made her very, very happy...
---
[A/N: And, hey, Kawaii can write the Harmonie-Chu meeting scene as well! -eviler grin- I'm such a good friend. (Note to Kawaii when she returns: Don't worry, I'll help you!! "^^)]

-By The Way

There's nothing for me to say. All the words I want to say are condemned by a society corrupted by cultural instability. So I will say nothing.

Date: 04/04/14 9:18 AM

Almost at 500 posts..!

-By The Way

I've had it up to here with tornadoes...

Date: 04/03/14 7:14 AM

LunaDiana,

-sips coffee- Morning, LD. I can't remember if I replied, but... yeah. Cleon's pretty cool. I don't know which part of him I like more: his physical self or his emotional self. XD Don't worry, there will be an abundance of Cleon-major-parts especially in the third book.

-By The Way

My sinuses are so bad that I can't smell or taste... I hate that stage of colds.

Date: 04/01/14 3:07 PM

OH MY GOSH!!! Cleon finally has a major part!! This is a wonderful chappie!! xD

LD

Date: 03/31/14 2:50 PM

[A/N: I just realized we've both been forgetting the underlines. *0*]

|..:|Chapter XLVII: Cease|:..|

"We have to put out the fire!" yelled Avila. "Tamara, I'll need your help!" Geld started coughing behind the rest of the group, and Avila bit her lip. "Let's hurry, Tam," she added as she remembered Geld's asthma scene from a while back.
Tamara looked around frantically. "W-Where do we get the water?"
"There's always water underground," Geld said with a grin despite his condition. He stretched out his hands and made a motion as though he were pulling something. There was a grand rumbling and a crater formed from beneath the very ground. Avila and Tamara bent large amounts of water from the hole and threw it at the flames. Clouds of steam came off of the burning temple. The fire prevailed.
Avila shook her head. "This won't work... Geld! Nola! Smother the fire with some rock!"
Large plates of stone slammed down on the fire, but there were still flames. Avila wiped the sweat from her temples. This is impossible... This is hopeless...

Cleon watched the scene. The F.A.L.S.E.'s efforts seemed weak. Like the nonbenders and other firebenders, Cleon stood at a distance, not sure what he could do to help. He laughed quietly. With all the other tools built into his body, one would have thought he could end the situation immediately, but it could not. And his bending was no help either. Fire could only destroy.
Just like him.
The cyborg thought about what he had told Harmonie about firebending. The bender has to fuel the bending, unlike water or earth, where the bender has to use components linked to the environment. But perhaps this was incorrect data. Perhaps he could use his environment. Perhaps his bending could be of use.
Cleon waved his hand experimentally, focusing hard on the burning temple. His real eye widened in surprise when he saw an ember near the temple suddenly flare up, as though he were controlling it. He concentrated on that one ember and moved his hand to the left. The ember flickered as it moved, like Cleon's little fiery slave, all the way to the left. Cleon clenched his fist.
The ember went out instantly.
"Fall back," Cleon ordered the benders trying to put out the fire. "I have a solution to this problem." Avila, Tamara, and Nola stepped aside, but Geld scowled at his teammate.
"What the spirit world are you talking about? You're a firebender! You'll just make it worse!"
"No, I will not. Look, I can do this--"
"Do what?" Geld shouted. "What if the temple isn't hiding information on where Harmonie is? What if it is where Harm's at? You seriously wanna risk burning her alive?"
Cleon's face took on a look as cold as the steel that formed his left arm, right leg, and half of his face. "Yes. I do." Stepping in front of Geld, Cleon targeted all the energy in his body toward the inferno that enveloped the structure in front of him. He balled his hands into fists, scrunched up his eyes, and silently commanded the fire.
CEASE YOUR EXISTENCE.
It felt like the energy of the entire fire was pouring into Cleon's palms, rushing through his veins. Then, it all stopped. Slowly, Cleon opened his eyes.
---
[A/N: Cliffie!]

-By The Way

Watch out for the people on the borders...

Date: 03/31/14 8:29 AM

Helloooo, readers...

-By The Way

Watch out for the people on the borders...

Date: 03/29/14 9:24 AM

Kawaii,

Great chapter, and have a good vacation! ^-^ I guess it's my turn now.

-By The Way

Date: 03/29/14 6:09 AM

@KawaiiGrrl
Hurray for Spring Break! Good chappie!!

LD

Date: 03/28/14 8:20 PM

Hi, so um, I'm gonna leave for one week and come back on Sunday, April 9th ^^ I shall bring some food for you guys. Heh. So yeah, we're going the same thing like we did last time when I went on vacation to Punta Cana so yeah .3. See you guys in a little over a week~! ^^

|..:|Chapter XLVI: Smell | Part II |:..|

"Tamara," said Ora, the putrid stench beginning to burn her eyes. "Call Avila and the others. Hurry." The trembling girl looked at her with wide, deer-like eyes. Her mouth began to move to form her stuttering words. "W-What about you?"
"I'll check the fire out. Maybe I can catch someone before they escape. Don't worry."
"B-But will you be okay? C-Can you... f-fight?" Before she could see Tamara mouth the words, she had already began to dash towards the place. Her surroundings whooshed by in a blur of smoke and color as she winded her way through the alleyway. As she progressed into the thickening smoke, the tainted air began to collect in her lungs, slightly burning it.
A subtle trace of rue spiked in her heart as she recalled what had happened last night.
She should have heeded her dream last night.
It seemed possible at the time, so probable and likely and just downright reasonable. And yet she was so ignorant and decided to be oblivious to her dream of fire.
It was rather simple, really. She was sitting in a wooden chair facing an ancient grandfather clock. Its pendulum swung forward and backward again and again. Everything was quite silent until its bold, black hand directed towards the number one. Instantly, the clock lit with a furious fire, burning intensely.
And what time was it on the clock when the fire began? One in the afternoon, the same time it was as she was running towards the fire.
She dismissed it as nothing; it was a simple nightmare, really. But it was more than that. It was a foretelling, a foreboding, a prediction.
And it was right.
Soon, the rusting temple came into view and, as what was expected, it was engulfed in red. Neither its intricate designs nor valuable scrolls were spared in the fire; the flames didn't care, for they simply wanted to destroy. The temple that once looked strong with might and regal was now crumbling before her very eyes. It was destroying itself, and the secrets it held within.
Beneath her feet, subtle vibrations shook the earth. She turned to see a fellow member of F.A.L.S.E. approach her, her turquoise-streaked hair flying wildly in the ashy atmosphere.
"Ora!" Avila glanced at the fiery building before looking into Ora's eyes. "What happened?"
"That's what we're trying to find out," replied Ora.
"Did anyone call the firefighters yet?"
"No, I don't think so. But pretty soon they will, since this is huge."
Avila surveyed the area around her, and, for the first time, recognized a subtle trace of anxiety in her normally composed comrade.
It was then how she realized how dangerous the situation was.
"Whoa, what the heck is happening?"
Käthe quickly jogged towards the two along with a panicked Tamara and a rather shocked Nola. "Another fire?"
Tamara gazed in horror as more F.A.L.S.E. members gathered at the spot. Along with the smell of ash, a paranoid and bewildered feeling tainted the air all at once.
Avila's eyes suddenly widened remarkably at a sudden, frightening revelation. She turned to Ora.
"You do realize the reason for why someone would set their own possessions on fire, right?"
The deaf teen shook her head vigorously.
"You can always open up a book and read it, but you can't read the ashes of a book. All of its information is lost."
"What are you saying?" she inquired, believing the pollution in the air had an effect on her mind.
Her deep, crystal eyes portrayed realization. "What I'm saying is that they're hiding something, something that they don't want to be found out. Maybe even the location of a person."
Right then and there, she fully acknowledged the importance of the ancient temple.
It wasn't just a temple after all. It was a storage place, a storage place of secrets. And maybe, just maybe, the secret location of the missing leader of F.A.L.S.E.
---
This is Kawaii, signing off! ^_^

100% Kawaii

Date: 03/28/14 7:47 AM

Urushi,

True, true. *eyes the shadows suspiciously*

Liesl,

Thank you! LOL, just call them whatever you like.

-By The Way

It was once Byzantium. Then, it was Constantinople. Finally in 1930, it became Istanbul.

Date: 03/27/14 9:41 PM

Er... sorry, I meant chapter...

|~:|{<3~Alliesse~<3}|:~|
*~A heart with a musical beat<33
~We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun! ~Peeves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Date: 03/25/14 1:47 PM

LOVED the chapters!!! :DDDD Keep on going! Almost 500 posts!

|~:|{<3~Alliesse~<3}|:~|
*~A heart with a musical beat<33
~We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun! ~Peeves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Date: 03/24/14 7:52 PM

@ Way

You never know, Way. You never know. :3

Date: 03/23/14 11:09 AM

Urushi,

But... you posted during the afternoon. XD That's not exactly "the darkest shadows of the night."

-By The Way

Sebastian... and Grelle. Sebastian... and Grelle. :3

Date: 03/22/14 1:41 PM

@Way

We silent readers come from the the darkest shadows of the night, of course. xD I just realized I haven't commented for quite a while. Aw, well.

~Urushi

Date: 03/22/14 10:10 AM

I just realized we're almost at 500 posts. o_o

-By The Way

The new 3-in-1 volume of Fullmetal Alchemist is out! I read it all already!