YOU ARE HERE » Message Boards » Avatar - Fan Fiction » View Thread
Never Let Me Go

Date: 07/06/13 4:49 PM

Hello, all! I'll be starting a new fanfic very soon, so I thought that I'd go ahead and get the topic posted.

-It will be Azula-based.

-Zuko may or may not have Katara try to use some of her "special talents" to help heal Azula's mind.

- I don't know if I'll feature any shipping or anything, but there could possibly be some Zutara...

-The title is based off of the song "Never Let Me Go" by Florence and the Machine. If you haven't heard it, you should totally check it out.

-I'll have the prologue/first chapter up by the end of next week. (I haven't decided if I'll start with a prologue or not yet)

There you have it! I hope you all love reading it as much as I'll love writing it!! :D

-MadTay

323 Messages Sort By
Show Topics
Date: 05/04/14 7:25 PM

Agentthor,

Yeah, I know what Katara meant by "gone", I just though it would be fun to do a play on her words and make it mean something else. And it's okay that you haven't been commenting, I haven't really been posting, lol. : )

-MadTay

Date: 04/30/14 10:16 PM

@Madtay and The Way:

Well, actually, when she said, "she was gone" it was meant to imply that her mother was... well, something that rhymes with "dread." I'm sure Katara would have said something if her mother was merely missing and not gone.

BUT OH MY RA I'M SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN COMMENTING MADTAY I JUST CAUGHT UP IT'S AWESOOOOMMMEE!!!

Date: 04/29/14 7:28 AM

Madtay,

Well, I mean, Katara's mother seemed like she could take a few firebenders, even if she wasn't a waterbender. Hrmph. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with that ending. Post soon!

-By The Way

Phew! The next part in my short story is long!

Date: 04/28/14 11:29 AM

Way,

Hmm. It would be cool to write a fanfiction that plays off of Katara's words when telling Zuko the story of her mother's passing, "And when he got back she was already gone."

-MadTay

Date: 04/28/14 10:53 AM

Happy 300!

-By The Way

I don't wanna be a soldier, be the captain of some sinking ship that stowed far below. -"Violet Hill," by Coldplay

Date: 04/27/14 10:36 AM

Madtay,

(Using my signature from yesterday since I only posted on, like, two threads. XD)

I sort of wish A:TLA was obscure about what happened to Sokka/Katara's mom, so that we could have an Ursa situation and someone could write a fanfic about them finding their mother... Just a thought! ^^

-By The Way

The best author will be the one who is ashamed to become a writer. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Date: 04/27/14 12:12 AM

Way,

Yeah, Lifehouse is one of my favorites! Plus, I thought that song fit well with Sokka and Zuko's relationships with their moms.

Allie,

Thanks!! I'm glad you liked it. : )

-MadTay

Date: 04/26/14 1:37 PM

Awww, Suki and Sokka! How cute! I LOVED the chapter, Maddie!!

|~:|{<3~Alliesse~<3}|:~|
*~A heart with a musical beat<33
"Can you believe our luck? Of all the trees we could've hit, we had to get one that hits back!" ~Ron Weasley

Date: 04/24/14 5:54 PM

I love Lifehouse! And I loved this chapter! Yay, some Suki x Sokka too! Awesome!

-By The Way

I don't speak Spanish, and I can't if you want me to. ._.

Date: 04/24/14 12:18 AM

"It doesn't matter where you go,
You're still a part of me,
I don't know much but I know,
You're always somewhere.
I'm telling you from the heart,
You know I love you most
If I break or fall apart,
You're always somewhere close."
-Lifehouse; Always Somewhere Close

Chapter Twenty Two

Azula absolutely could not believe what had just happened. She stood up to her father and even defended Zuko. What did Katara do to her? Not that Azula was all too opposed to being on the same side as her brother again, she just was expecting different results from Katara's water-healing.

She and Zuko were completely silent on their way out of the prison, but, as soon as they reached the outside, Zuko stopped in his tracks. "How long have you known about Mom?" he asked.
Azula froze. She'd been harboring the information on their mother for years now, and she actually felt kind of guilty for doing so.
"A couple of years," she replied, deciding honesty was the best way to go here.
"Why didn't you ever say anything?!"
Azula's blood began to boil slightly, how dare he raise his voice to her? Sure, he deserved to know about their mom too, but she had reasons for never telling him, even if those reasons weren't important anymore, they used to be.
"Because, Zuko, I just couldn't."
"Why?!" Even though she could tell Zuko knew the answer to his question, Azula went ahead and answered it anyway. He deserved at least that much, didn't he?
"I was afraid, and confused. Father never actually told me about her, I overheard him talking about it. I didn't want him to punish me for knowing, and I knew that if I told you that you might try to contact her, and then we would all be in trouble. I also wasn't so sure about Mom's feelings about me, I was very bitter with her for a long time, I didn't want to see her."

Zuko pondered this, choosing his response carefully. "Do you want to see her now?"
Azula nodded. "I think so."
Zuko knew what he had to do. He had to travel to the Earth Kingdom, not only to see his uncle, but to find his mother as well. He would still have Katara accompany him, but he'd bring Azula as well. She deserved to see their mother, too, she had her own negative feelings to hash out with Ursa, as did Zuko. The war had been over for three years now, why hadn't she tried to contact him yet? Or why didn't she just come home? Maybe something's wrong, maybe she's not okay. . . Zuko thought with a slight shudder. He'd just have to wait and see, he guessed.

Sokka nervously knocked on Suki's bedroom door, four times to be exact. He heard her approaching and took three deep breaths. Why was he focusing so much on numbers right now? Moments later she appeared in the door, and upon seeing it was him, she smiled. No words could describe how much he loved that smile, that smile he'd fallen in love with over and over again so many times now. Yes, this is definitely the right thing to do, thought Sokka.
"Hey, Sokka!" exclaimed Suki, greeting him with a kiss on the cheek.
"Suki, can I talk to you real quick?" he asked nervously.
"Sure, what's up? Come in." She pulled the door all the way open and stepped to the side so he could come in.
"Suki, I've been thinking about this a lot, for a while now. And we love each other, right?"
She nodded. "Yeah, Sokka. I'll always love you."
Sokka grinned. "Exactly! That's why I think we should get married."
Suki froze. Was that excitement or fear? She didn't say anything, so Sokka went on.

"Suki, will you marry me?" he asked, pulling out the betrothal necklace he carved for her.
Suki finally came alive again. "Of course!" she shouted, and Sokka spotted a few tears sneaking out of her eyes. She jumped into his arms, and he kissed her. When they pulled apart, he put the necklace around her neck.
"I can't wait to spend forever with you, Sokka," she said.
"Me either," he replied.
Sokka couldn't even comprehend the joy he was feeling right now, he'd never been so happy before. He only wished his mother was here so that she could share in some of the happiness. And with that thought, Sokka glanced up at the ceiling, towards the sky, and thought, If you're watching me, Mom, I hope that you feel as happy as I do right now.

Date: 04/01/14 8:00 PM

Eeek! Post! :D

~We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun! ~Peeves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Date: 03/25/14 11:18 AM

Allie,

Thanks! I think my writer's block for this story is finally gone, so hopefully I'll get a new chapter up this weekend.

-MadTay

Date: 03/24/14 12:16 PM

Great chapter, Maddie! I am anxious for more!! :D

~We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun! ~Peeves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Date: 03/23/14 11:06 PM

Way,

Hehe, I guess you'll know for sure soon! I honestly wasn't going to include Ursa at all until I started writing this chapter the other day, the idea just kinda popped into my head. Looks like my writer's block is cured! LOL.

Dezirahe,

NO. Lol, just kidding. Thanks for replying! : )

Sereen,

Thanks! And I agree. Heck, even with all of the action and comedy, ATLA is still pretty dramatic, lol.

-MadTay

Date: 03/23/14 3:04 PM

great, AMAZING,AWESOME chapter madtay!!!
I cant believe zuko blurted out the truth about ozai failing ALL those things and all :3

If avatar the last airbender didnt have comedy or bending I honestly believe it would be a drama show 0_o
YAY FOR COMEDY AND BENDING THEN!!! XD

seriously,though dont you think so?

SerEen Ther PeNgUin

Date: 03/23/14 11:28 AM

yes

Date: 03/23/14 11:08 AM

Madtay,

Great chapter! I'm guessing she's being held hostage on an Earth Kingdom Island by the Eastern Air Temple, not hiding... XD Yay, let's go find Ursa~!

-By The Way

Sebastian... and Grelle. Sebastian... and Grelle. :3

Date: 03/23/14 12:59 AM

Chapter Twenty One
Part Two

Zuko gulped as he and Azula entered the prison where Ozai was kept, and where Iroh was once kept. He looked to Azula, she looked confident, just like she always used to. It was like ice ran through her veins. "Ready?" he asked her.
She nodded, and they walked on towards Ozai's cell. Zuko hadn't seen nor spoken with Ozai since directly after the war's end, when he asked him about his mother. How would this next interaction go?

Zuko re-steeled himself as they rounded to corner to the former Fire Lord's cell. When they got there, they found him slumped over in the back corner, just like he was when Zuko last saw him.
"What do you two want?" Ozai asked impatiently upon noticing his children, as if he had more important things to do.
"We have a few matters to discuss with you," stated Azula, like this was a business meeting.
Zuko nodded in confirmation.
Ozai let out a laugh. "Well let's get this over with, I can't wait."
It seemed he had not changed at all in the last three years.
When it seemed that Azula wasn't going to speak, Zuko did. "Well, I've been thinking for a while, and so has Azula-"
"Is this about your worthless mother again?" Ozai complained.
This time it was Azula who responded, and her business-meeting facade was gone. "It wasn't before, but now it is. I'm aware of what happened to her, the real story. I know that she's in hiding on an Earth Kingdom island by the Eastern Air Temple! She is not worthless, and I've never been able to admit that until now."
Zuko was shocked. Had she really just said that?
"And how would you know that, if it were true?" spat Ozai.
"It is true, and I know a lot of things that you didn't know I knew about. I've been keeping this a secret for years, and yet you never did trust me. I was the perfect daughter and you still abandoned me! Just because you failed at bringing the Fire Nation victory doesn't mean you can forsake your children, Ozai."
The fact that Azula had just referred to their father as Ozai really meant something, never before had she called him anything that wasn't respectable.
"I didn't fail, you two failed! You, and your uncle. If you three had just done what you were supposed to, capture the Avatar, we would've been victorious!"
"No," Zuko finally interjected. "You failed. You failed as Fire Lord, you failed at being a husband, you failed at being a brother, and, most importantly, you failed at being a father."
Ozai said nothing, and neither did Azula, but the hatred for Ozai in her eyes said more than words could have.
"I think we're done here," finished Zuko. Then, he took Azula by the hand and exited the prison.

Sokka paced his chamber, alone. Everything that had been going on, what with the Acolytes and everything, really got him thinking. His time on this earth was limited, an assassin from some gang could come in and snuff him out at any minute, or some other crazy, off-the-wall thing could happen and his life would be over. So why should he keep walking through life without much of a care, when he should get moving on with his plans? Yes, it was definitely time for him to get moving. So, he sat down on his bed, pulled out the necklace with the dark blue band and light blue-painted stone that he'd been carrying for months, and got to carving. You know that Suki's the perfect girl for you, so it's finally time that you ask her to marry you, Sokka thought to himself.

Date: 03/23/14 12:59 AM

"Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly, I wanna see you be brave."
-Sara Bareilles; Brave

Chapter Twenty One
Part One

Zuko knew this had to be too good to be true. Could Azula, after all of this time, finally be. . . okay? He wouldn't be one-hundred-percent convinced of her new mental state until her actions proved it to be so. But, for the time being, he would have to just go with it.
"Before we go, there's one quick thing I need to do." Zuko stated. He tore a piece of parchment off of the scroll he had in his robe, scribbled a quick note out, and handed it to Katara. She took the note and looked at him quizzically for a moment before walking off to go read it. Ty Lee, recognizing her presence was no longer needed, exited the throne room as well.
"Alright, Azula, let's go." Zuko said, and together, as brother and sister once again, they left to go confront Ozai.

Katara sat down on the small couch at the foot of her bed. She was back in her chamber now, preparing to read Zuko's note. What was so important that he couldn't just say out loud? For this reason, she was feeling a little apprehensive. Slowly, she unrolled the small piece of parchment and began to read.

I still don't trust Azula, so I wanted to tell you this in writing just in case. I want to go to Ba Sing Se to see my uncle, and I want you to come with me. It has to do with the Acolytes, I'll explain to you on our way there. We'll leave tomorrow.

What would his uncle know about the Acolytes of Azulan, apart from the general information they already knew? Of course, Iroh seems to know everything, she thought. And why did Zuko only want her to go? Why not Aang, or one of the other guys? Maybe he wanted them to keep watch over the palace while he was gone. . . What Katara did know, though, was that she wanted answers.

Date: 03/19/14 10:41 PM

Cilly,

Thank you very much. :D

Way,

I really don't think they will, to be honest. And yes, that is a great song! Hybrid Theory is one of my favorite albums of theirs. : )

-MadTay