YOU ARE HERE » Message Boards » Avatar - Fan Fiction » View Thread
With You and Without Them (Zutara)

Date: 07/07/13 12:06 AM

?I can?t believe you?re doing this to me!? I screamed, which in a tightly packed car isn?t the greatest idea.
?He?s doing this to me too, Katara, and you don?t see me trying to blow out his eardrum.?
I glared at my brother Sokka, and he scrunched away from me.
?Katara,? my father soothed, ?It isn?t like I had any choice. My job transferred me. Besides, now we live near your grandmother, so you won?t have to be at home alone.?
?We didn?t mind being at home alone, did we Sokka??
?Well, not really, but at least I won?t have to try and cook things, I?ll let Gran do it.?
?You?re such a pig,? I said, angrily. Why couldn?t he just back me up? ?Besides, I made your food anyway.?
?And now you won?t have to. See? Everyone?s happy.?
?It won?t be that bad Katara,? my dad said.
?Oh, really? None of my friends are here.?
?You?ll make new friends,? Hakoda said.
?You only had two in the first place,? Sokka said.
I growled at him, scaring both him and myself.
?Everything will be fine.?
We pulled our car into a driveway and the movers pulled right behind us.
?Katara, Sokka, why don?t you two go explore the house. I?ll talk to the movers.?
He threw the keys to me as I climbed out of the car. I caught them easily by the key ring.
The house had a reddish brick and was easily twice as big as our other house. The yard was small, though. We didn?t even have a full acre.
I walked to the door which had a small glass window in a half circle. I slipped the key into its hole and walked in.
There was a room to the right and a room to the left. There were no doors to separate the rooms. There wasn?t even hinges that doors could go on. In front of me and slightly to the left were carpeted stairs and slightly to the right was a hallway with a dark wooden floor. I walked through the hallway. To the right was a large room that was two stories high. A railing separated the two rooms along with a step. The rooms looped around and I came back to the front door. I climbed up the stairs. I found a few bathrooms, and other carpeted rooms that I assumed would be our bedrooms.
The house was eerie in a way. With absolutely no furniture and no paint, I couldn?t even envision living here.
When I scurried back down the stairs, boxes had already crowded into the hallway.
I sighed as I watched the men move the rest of our stuff into the house and where they needed to be.
When they were done, I realized I had wasted my afternoon watching people bring in boxes, making sure they didn?t drop my stuff. I looked down at my watch. 6:00.
I sighed, walked over to Sokka, grabbed the knife he had used to open a box, and ripped through the packaging. Inside were sheets for my bed. I pulled the blue fabric out of the box and strolled up the stairs.
My bed and furniture were already in my room; my dad had paid extra for that. I made my bed, and went back downstairs, grabbing another one of my boxes and putting stuff away.
At about eight, I flumped onto my bed. Moving had taken a lot out of me. Plus, there was the time difference. I had originally lived in the east coast and now I had moved to the west coast. Three hours seemed to make a big difference.
I laid down on my bed and stared at the cream ceiling. I hadn?t put my posters yet or anything. This house felt so foreign.
I didn?t even want to imagine what would happen at school tomorrow. It wouldn?t be the first time I had switched schools in the middle of the year and it wouldn?t be the last. But the last time I had moved was when I was five. Kids were more accepting then, and I was friends with pretty much everyone. But I had two best friends that I considered my family. Aang and Toph. I couldn?t stand leaving them behind. It was so hard to loose friends. To loose family.
Hot silent tears ran down my face and I wiped them away with my palm. My phone rang on the dresser and I sniffled as I reached for it. Toph. I don?t think it could physically possible to open the phone faster than I did.
?Toph!?
?Hey,? Toph replied.
I wiped the last remaining tear. ?I already miss you,? I said.
?Oh, I miss you, too.?
I heard another phone click. ?Hey Katara,? Aang?s voice popped up. ?We?re on Toph?s home phone. I miss you so much. What?s your house like??
?Big. At least twice as big as my old house. Yet my room is almost the same size.?
?You mean it?s big?? Toph said with a laugh.
I shrugged. Not that they could tell but I still did. ?I guess.?
?And what?s the weather like there??
?It?s hot and sunny.?
?If you just ignore all the negatives,? Aang started.
?You?ll have lots of fun!? Toph finished.
?Without you guys? I don?t think so.?
There was a pause and I heard someone yelling in the background.
?My mom?s forcing us to get off the phone, but call us after you come home from school. We want to hear all about it. See ya, Katara?
?Bye Toph.?
?Bye,? said Aang.
?Talk to you soon,? I said.
I closed my phone and buried my face into my pillow and let the tears come.
   135 Messages Sort By
Show Topics
Date: 09/14/14 2:10 PM

Hey guys! I honestly don't know if anyone is still out there. It's been almost a month since I last put up a chapter. Sorry about that. School has taken over. lol
To answer your question about how I come up with this stuff, the answer is I honestly don't even know. I love to write and I've finished two books (I'm in the process of trying to get the one published) and so I guess I just like creating stories. They're just sort of there in my mind I suppose. Honestly, for stories like this one, I just go with the flow. I have a general idea of where I want the story to go but beside that, each chapter/post is just what happens. Lol, that probably was like a roundabout explanation to what you asked but oh well.
I'll try to post soon guys!

Date: 08/18/14 5:28 PM

Thanks for the shout out! How do you come up with stuff?

Date: 08/17/14 1:14 PM

So this little chapter is dedicated to abcde2825! Thanks so much for reading!

?Moving like a firebender is a compliment,? Zuko remarked the second we got in his car.
I laughed. ?Not the way he said it,? I teased.
?Stupid waterbender,? he muttered back jokingly.
He began driving in the direction of my house I assumed. I was still a little new to the area and Iroh?s house had been in an area of town I had never been.
I glanced up at the sky, noticing how the city lights were drowning out the stars. The moon was absent from the sky; that thought depressed me.
A few minutes had passed before Zuko admitted, ?I don?t really want to take you home.?
My eyes widened in surprise. ?Zuko, it?s getting kind of late. I know I?m already in trouble, especially with my brother.?
?What if we just never went home,? he mused. ?We?re both smart. We could handle ourselves.?
I had to seriously look at him to determine if he was joking or not. Still, his face seemed completely sincere. ?You?d just leave your family?? I asked.
?I hate my family,? he instantaneously replied. ?Uncle?s not included in that, of course,? he added as a side thought.
I sighed. ?Well I don?t. Maybe Sokka?s is going to freak on me but I could never just leave.?
Now it was Zuko?s turn to sigh. ?He?s going to make it difficult for us to be together.?
I actually laughed. ?Trust me. I can handle my brother.?
Zuko raised an eyebrow and his golden eyes lit up. ?The waterbender?s got spunk.? He leaned closer to me and kissed me gently on the lips. ?I?ll see you tomorrow at school.?

Date: 08/14/14 9:35 PM

I LOVE this story so much!!!! I showed my friend and she loves it also!! keep up the good work!!!!

Date: 08/14/14 12:46 PM

Wow, so it's been EONS since I last posted a chapter. Sorry about that....I don't really have a good excuse lol. So without further ado, here's the chapter.

?So a waterbender?? Iroh laughed, and I blushed. ?No, dear one, don?t take that the wrong way. I never thought I would be able to meet an actual waterbender. I consider this a true honor. And Zuko says you?re pretty good.?
?Oh I?m sure he?s just saying that,? I replied modestly, swishing my hand as if I could physically disregard the compliment.
Zuko raised an eyebrow at my remark, and Iroh merely chuckled. ?It doesn?t sound like my nephew to say something he didn?t mean, even if he was smitten.? Iroh winked, and I giggled nervously. Zuko?s eyes widened and he went rigid with embarrassment.
?May I see a demonstration?? Iroh asked. Either he was ignoring his nephew?s embarrassment or completely ignorant of it. I honestly assumed the former.
?Of course,? I agreed, standing. Since there was no water in the room that was readily available, except for Iroh?s tea, I pulled some water out of the air. I bent it to my will, freezing it and thawing it, creating shapes. Iroh?s eyes were widened in awe and when I finished, he enthusiastically clapped.
?Never in my life did I think I would have the privilege of meeting a waterbender. It?s true art in motion. Though I must say, you move more like a firebender.? He smiled at that statement, glancing quickly at Zuko.
?Is that necessarily a bad thing?? I asked.
He shook his head quickly. ?Of course not, but I have some ancient manuscripts that you might find interesting. I?ll go get them.? He quickly looked at the two of us and with a knowing smile, headed out of the room.
?Well that was horrifying,? Zuko said, the moment the door closed. ?At least he didn?t try to call me Junior again.?
?You?re a Junior?? I asked with a laugh.
His eyes widened in horror again as he realized he had said his thought aloud. He quickly turned his head away. ?No, I?m not. No one calls me that. It?s just?a really long story.?
I shrugged. ?He seems sweet.?
?In his own devious way,? Zuko replied, smirking.
Iroh entered the room again and seemed surprised to find us not in some intimate embrace. I stood and met him at a table where he laid the manuscripts out. On the crumpled pages were detailed descriptions of how to do different water bending moves, ones that I hadn?t even known existed. ?This is incredible!? I exclaimed.
?They?re yours,? Iroh said.
?What?? I asked incredulously.
?I?m sure you?ll get much more use out of them, young one,? he said with a smile.
?Thank you!? I squealed, hugging him without a second thought. He seemed surprised at first but then accepted the hug.
?You?re welcome,? he replied.

Date: 08/02/14 9:43 AM

I'm new to this story and i just caught up with and I just wanted too say you that are very good at writing and i love the way you are developing Zuko and Katara's relationship. They're so cute together!!!! :)

Date: 07/20/14 11:09 PM

Hi people. I'll try to post soon...

Date: 06/29/14 11:34 PM

Post soon! : )

-MadTay

Date: 06/28/14 10:17 PM

better hurry and post!

This post will be deleted soon if not!

Date: 06/11/14 9:58 PM

Sorry I haven't commented in a while, I've also been pretty busy, haha. I liked your most recent chapter though, and I'm looking forward to the next one! : )

-MadTay

Date: 05/29/14 10:09 PM

I'm surprised this story is still up! Sorry it's been so long since I updated! Promise I will soon.

Date: 05/19/14 6:33 PM

nice chapter, the first bit was hillarious "I Should probably be nervous about entering a house of strangers whose family wants to elimanate me" xD

SEreEN tHE PENgUin

Date: 04/30/14 2:04 PM

Admittedly, I was a little nervous about going to Iroh?s house. His gold eyes shimmered exactly like Zuko?s and Azula?s; surely he must be a firebender. So perhaps, logically entering the house of someone who was basically a stranger with two firebenders whose family wanted to eliminate people like me, wasn?t the greatest, but with Zuko I felt secure.
So I knew that the butterflies in my stomach were not from fear, though perhaps they should have been. I had to wonder how much Zuko had told this man about me. Did Iroh know that I was a bender as well? And if did, had Zuko told him or had my eyes been the only clue?
We had driven to Iroh?s in separate cars, but Iroh?s was remarkably similar to Zuko?s, another wild sports car that easily was worth over a hundred thousand dollars. Obviously, Zuko and his family were extremely wealthy. But did Zuko consider me poor?
His sister certainly did. What did she call me? Something on the lines of a ?worthless peasant.?
Iroh?s house was borderline a mansion, nearly twice as large as my house. It stood by itself and there was no visible sign of any neighbors for miles. We had driven out a bit and his house hovered near the edge of a cliff, overlooking the ocean.
?It?s beautiful,? I remarked, stepping out of the car. Zuko merely shrugged.
Inside was just as beautiful, if not more, than inside. The room that we first stepped into was a sort of living room, spread out through most of the first floor. Black and white sofas and chairs were scattered about, and a fireplace roared steadily in the corner. To the left, the room seemed to me open up to a kitchen, one that had recently been used.
?Come. Sit. Sit,? Iroh said, his amiable voice booming loudly. ?Would you like some tea? I know I do.? And he went off into the kitchen.
Zuko sat down on a sofa nearest to the fire and motioned for me to join. The second I got within arm length of him, he reached out and grabbed, pulling me into his arms. I giggled as he kissed me on the cheek.
Iroh came back in the room, and I tried to pull away, embarrassed at this embrace in front of Zuko?s uncle, but Zuko refused to let me go.

Date: 04/14/14 4:58 PM

So sorry guys that I haven't posted anything on here in a while. Life and school have been pretty crazy! I'll try to post a chapter as soon as possible though.

Date: 03/17/14 2:31 PM

I liked that chapter! Don't worry about it being short, great things often come in small packages. : )

-MadTay

Date: 03/16/14 7:35 PM

nice chapter i dont mind the shortness that much since ur such a talented writer!!!

Date: 03/16/14 3:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for keeping this story alive! I'm sorry it's been so long. Life has been crazy. Also sorry that it's a relatively short chapter

When the waiter came back, Zuko murmured quietly to him and the man nodded understandingly before turning and walking away. ?What was that about?? I asked warily.
He smiled. ?That? That was nothing.?
All of sudden, a fat old man with a booming voice appearing, saying, ?Nephew! How nice of you to stop by and with such lovely company too!?
I felt my cheeks blush and saw that Zuko?s did too.
?It?s Katara, right?? the old man continued. ?I?ve heard so much about you!? he exclaimed, while Zuko placed a hand on his face and turned away to hide the blush that was creeping across his face.
?This is my uncle, Iroh,? Zuko explained, though no explanation was necessary.
?So nice to meet you,? I responded, taking in all of the man. A long beard and balding head, the slight pudginess: he barely resembled Zuko at all, except for the striking gold eyes that shone as brightly as Zuko?s. Did that mean that this man was a firebender too?
?We have so much to talk about,? Iroh said. ?We should return to my house and discuss it over tea.?

Date: 03/16/14 10:26 AM

OMG!! I remember reading this fanfiction! Are you still updating?

Date: 03/15/14 11:37 PM

Ooh, I'm anxious to see how it goes between Sokka and Zuko. And to see how Katara's break up goes. Post soon! : )

-MadTay

Date: 03/14/14 10:22 PM

Must keep up!

|~:|{<3~Alliesse~<3}|:~|
*~A heart with a musical beat<33
~We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun! ~Peeves in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows