Last Updated: January 26, 2021
This policy is in accordance with the U.S. Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (also known as "COPPA"), among other applicable privacy laws, and outlines our practices regarding children's information collected from users of the Services. To learn about our practices regarding personal information collected from children on these Services, please see the Children's Privacy section.
If you or your child are a California resident, in order to learn more about your California Privacy Rights, please see the California Privacy Notice.
Personal Information We Collect
Information Your or Your Child Actively Provides
You or your child can use most of the Services without actively submitting any information, but some of the Services may allow you or your child to provide personal information, such as the following:
• Identifiers such as name, username, phone number, email address, mailing address.
• Profile information such as date of birth, gender, avatar, and interests.
• Parent or guardian contact information.
• Payment information such as credit card number.
• Geolocation data, such as GPS signals, device sensors, Wi-Fi access points, and cell tower IDs, where you have allowed access to that information from your mobile device. We do not collect such information from Services that are directed to children.
• If you choose to post content or communicate with us or others on a public platform we host or through user support, we will collect the information you provide in those postings. We do not allow children to communicate with others on public platforms.
Information Collected Automatically
We automatically collect personal information when you or your child access and use our Services, including:
• Device and network identifiers such as IP address, mobile advertising ID, media access control (MAC) address, and identifiers associated with browser cookies, web beacons and similar technologies we deploy on the Services.
• Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as your Internet service provider (ISP), browser type and operating system version, language settings, access times, pages viewed, the routes by which you access the Services, and your use of any hyperlinks available within the Services.
Information From Third Parties
Where we collect information from adults or from portions of the Services that are not directed to children, we may collect personal information from third parties to supplement the information we collect from you directly. We do this so that we can show offers that are more relevant to your interests and to better understand our users.
Personal Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you or your child based on the information we, or our partners, collect. For example, we may make inferences about your location (e.g., country, state, and city) based on your IP address. Please note that all the information we collect may be combined and used for the purposes described in the "How We Use Personal Information" section below.
How We Use Personal Information
We collect and use information about you or your child for the following purposes, including to:
• Provide, maintain, and improve the Services, as well as to develop new content and features;
• Perform our contractual obligations;
• Create, maintain, and service your account;
• Send notifications related to your account;
• Send newsletters, postcards, or messages you or your child request;
• Enable you or your child to participate in interactive features of the Services;
• Enable you or your child to participate in sweepstakes, contests, or promotions;
• Respond to customer service requests;
• Conduct internal research and development;
• Analyze traffic and user activities on the Services, identify popular areas or features, and optimize and personalize the Services;
• Serve contextual advertising and limit the number of times you or your child see an advertisement on the Services to the extent allowed by local law;
• Debug the Services to identify and repair errors;
• Process or fulfill orders and transactions; and
• Protect the rights and property of Nickelodeon and others, and comply with our legal obligations, including to detect, investigate, and prevent fraud and other illegal activities, and to enforce our agreements.
How We Might Disclose Personal Information
Nickelodeon does not sell personal information collected from children or teens we know to be under 16. We will not share the personal information we collect with any unrelated third parties other than as follows:
● With our Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We disclose personal information to other Nickelodeon or related companies, our parent company, and its subsidiaries and affiliates, for the purposes described in the "How We Use Personal Information" section above.
● With our Service Providers. We share personal information with unaffiliated companies or individuals we hire or work with that perform services on our behalf, including customer support, payment processors, or others who assist us in fulfilling orders or transactions, web hosting, information technology, and analytics services.
● In Connection with a Corporate Transaction. Personal information may be disclosed or transferred as part of, or during negotiations for, any purchase, sale, lease, merger, or any other type of acquisition, disposal, or financing involving Nickelodeon, its parent entities, or related brands.
● With our Professional Advisors. We share personal information with our legal, financial, insurance and other advisors in connection with the corporate transactions described above or in connection with the management of our business and operations.
● With Law Enforcement Authorities and Individuals Involved in Legal Proceedings. We share personal information when it is necessary for us to comply with applicable law or legal process, to respond to legal claims, or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Nickelodeon, our users, employees, or the public.
● With Partners for Co-Branded Sites and Services. Some of the Services offer co-branded services and features, such as events and promotions that we put together with another company ("Co-Branded Partner"). Such services may be hosted on a Site and/or our Co-Branded Partner's website. The Co-Branded Partner will be identified on the co-branded feature or service. We may share your information with our Co-Branded Partner in such cases. If you want to opt-out of the Co-Branded Partner's use of your personal information, please contact the Co-Branded Partner. We do not offer co-branded services or features on portions of the Services that are designed for children.
● With Your Consent or At Your Direction. We share personal information with third parties when you or your child, if they are between 13-16, ask us to do so.
Advertising and Analytics Provided by Others
Cookies and Similar Technologies
On any of our Services or portion of the Services that is directed to children, we do not use, or allow our partners to use, automatically collected information, such as IP addresses, cookie identifiers, and other device identifiers, other than for purposes of supporting our internal operations, such as to provide children with access to features and activities on the Services, to customize content and improve our Services, and to serve contextual advertising and limit the number of times you or your child see a particular advertisement. We do not allow online behavioral advertising, sometimes called personalized advertising or tailored advertising to children or teens under 16.
For the portions of our Services that are directed to audiences older than 16, we may share identifiers such as cookies and the advertising identifier associated with your mobile device with our advertising partners, and those partners may use and share those identifiers to show ads that are targeted to your interests.
For information on how our advertising partners allow you to opt out of receiving ads based on your web browsing history, please visit www.aboutads.info in the United States or https://youradchoices.com/choices-faq for other jurisdictions. Your device may also include a feature that allows you to opt out of the use of information about your use of mobile apps for interest-based advertising purposes ("Limit Ad Tracking" on iOS devices or "Opt Out of Personalized Ads" on Android devices).
Websites and Data Collection of Third Parties
Similarly, on the Services or portions of the Services that are not directed to children, we may give you the option to share with others on social media platforms, such as Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. When you share in this manner, the privacy practices of the social media platform control who has access to your information and how it is treated by the social media platform.
Please consult the privacy policies of any social media services or other third parties with which you share information in this manner to learn about the social media platform's data practices.
We store the personal information we collect for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may also retain personal information as required by law.
Your Rights and Choices
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as emails or SMS messages about your account or orders from us. We do not send marketing communications to children.
When you use any of our mobile apps that collect precise location information, you may be asked to consent to the collection of this information. You can change your preferences at any time through the settings on your mobile device. We do not collect precise location information from children.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts and Local Notifications
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device. We do not send push notifications to children, but we may use "local notifications" that are sent directly through a mobile app to your or your child's device (and do not require an internet connection). We may use these local notifications to notify you or your child of new content or events within the app, among other reasons.
Other Rights in Your Jurisdiction
Depending on the law in your jurisdiction, you may have additional rights, such as rights to access, correction and deletion of your personal information. If you have any questions about what rights and choices apply in your jurisdiction, please feel free to contact us.
California Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, please review these additional privacy disclosures, which provide a summary of how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from you or your child, and explain your rights under California law.
Categories of Information We Collect, Use, and Disclose for Business Purposes
We collect the following categories of personal information as described in the Personal Information We Collect section. We collect this information from you, your child, third parties, or as otherwise described in this policy. We use these categories as described in the Use of Your Personal Information section above, and we disclose these categories of personal information for business purposes as described above and in the How We Might Disclose Personal Information section:
• Identifiers such as name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and IP address
• Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as log data, and information about the devices and computers you use to access the Services;
• Demographic information, such as gender and age;
• Commercial information, such as records of purchases and payment information;
• Other information you provide, such as messages on discussion boards or responses to surveys;
• Inferences drawn from any of the above, including location drawn from IP address.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Protection Act (CCPA), California residents have the right to request access to or deletion of their personal information, to request additional details about our information practices, and to not be discriminated against for exercising their rights. You may exercise your right to access, edit or delete information we have collected about you or your child by visiting viacomprivacy.com. If you need further assistance regarding your rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws. Note that even if we honor your request to delete your information, we may retain certain information as required or permitted by law.
We do not sell personal information collected by or from any Service or portion of a Service that is directed to children or where we know that the user is a child or a teen under 16. For the portions of our Services that are directed to audiences older than 16, we do not sell identifying information such as name, email address, phone number, or postal address, but we may share identifiers such as cookies and the advertising identifier associated with your mobile device with our advertising partners, and those partners may use and share those identifiers to show ads that are targeted to your interests. If this take place, these disclosures may constitute a "sale" under California law. Where we engage in this type of disclosure, we give you the option to opt out of disclosures for these purposes at any time by following the "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link on the homepage or download page of the relevant website, mobile app, or other service.
California residents who are under 18 years of age may request and obtain removal of any postings on the Services that they themselves post by emailing us at email@example.com. Please also note that any requests for removal do not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information from the Services. For example, content that you or your child have posted may be republished or reposted by another user or third party.
Collection of Information from Children
If we allow children to create an account or otherwise engage with us over time, we will obtain parental consent prior to the collection of their personal information. In order to obtain this consent, we sometimes ask your child to provide a parent's email address so that we may directly notify you of our privacy practices and obtain your consent. When we do this, we delete the email address they provided if a parent does not timely respond to the request for consent.
We may allow children to enter contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions, or receive a one-time communication from us. When we do that, we will collect the child's first name, email address, and sometimes their state of residence, as well as a parent's email address to provide you with notice that your child has entered the promotion and an opportunity for you to opt your child out. We will use the collected information for the purpose of that promotion or communication, and then delete the information from our records once it is no longer required. We do not send text messages or other non-email messages (like chat) to children.
On portions of the Services directed to children, we also do not allow users to use social media sharing or login functions or use, or allow our partners to use, automatically collected information, such as IP addresses, cookie identifiers, and other device identifiers, other than for purposes of supporting our internal operations, such as to provide children with access to features and activities on the Services, to customize content and improve our Services, or serve contextual advertising or limit the number of times you or your child sees a particular advertisement. We never allow interest-based advertising on portions of our Services that are directed to children or where we know that the user is a child or a teen under 16.
At any time, you can refuse to permit us to collect personal information from your child and can request that we delete from our records the personal information we have collected. If you have any questions or concerns about our approach to children's privacy, you want to access the data of your child, or request the deletion of your child's data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about how teens under 16 can request access or deletion of their personal information, please see California Privacy Notice -- Your Rights.
Some of our Services are available for teachers, schools, and school districts ("Schools") to use as part of an educational curriculum under the oversight of the School. These Services are designed to minimize the collection of personal information from children and to comply with student data privacy laws. When used by Schools, usernames, identifiers that may identify you or your device, and other information may be provided to us by a child's School and associated with a class or grade level. The School will be able to see information regarding the child's use of the Services in connection with a class and make changes to the child's username and other information. In some circumstances, teachers and other authorized personnel may create accounts for their students.
The School is solely responsible for providing notices and obtaining consents required by applicable student data privacy laws, including providing all required notices to parents, obtaining all necessary parent or guardian consents, or complying with applicable requirements of an exemption or exception from parental consent requirements. The School is also responsible for activities such as removing a child from class roster, deleting a class, or submitting a deletion request when a child's personal information is no longer needed for School purposes.
If the Services are downloaded on a personal device, a parent or guardian may be able to view their child's personal information (such as username and activities completed) by logging into the child's class account. The parent can delete the application providing the Services from the child's device, but the child's personal information may continue to be associated with the School's class account until the School deletes that personal information. If you are a parent and have questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your child's Personal Information, please contact your child's School directly.
If you have any questions about our information handling practices, including our practices with respect to children's personal information in connection with the Services, you may call us at 1-888-851-8412, email us at email@example.com with the subject line "Privacy Rights", or write to us at:
New York, NY 10036